And He's a Reader!!!

>> Monday, October 12, 2009

Lucas has always been a very verbal kid. After the obligatory "mama" and "dada," his first actual word was "thunder" (at 13months) and it just took off from there. Now, the boy rarely stops talking. He could spell his name by 18months and has always had a vocab way beyond his age. I know all kids have their special gifts. Language and learning just happen to be part of his giftedness. And now, we can include reading in this list!! :)
We have been working with flashcards and teaching him phonics. He loves the show Super Why which combines his love for stories and language. He sits for hours and "reads" books on his own. Then, tonight, it clicked. He saw the word "log" on a card and read it without any prompting!!! Admitedly, it is early. But, I am so proud I can't help but bubble over! :)
He is still getting the hang of it. But the flashcards are really helping it make sense in his little brain. The words and sounds he has learned through the flashcards he can now read in a book when he sees them. Hooray for my budding little reader!!
But just when I think he has truly got it, he looks at the word books and says "b-o-o-k-s." He makes all the correct phonic sounds "buh-oo-oo-ka-sss." He says it 2 or 3 times, getting a little faster each time. Then, he gets this adorable little 3-year-old grin on his face and says "frog!"
One step at a time. My little boy is a reader!


Need a Sling? Click here!
Subscribe to Me!! Click here for your regular dose of BabyLove Slings!

3 comments:

Literacygirl October 13, 2009 at 8:16 AM  

Congrats! Now you can do what my dad did with me at that age. Use me to show off to his friends, and make kids who are older than I was feel bad!

When you are reading to him, start having him use picture clues to figure out what the word means, and continue to make predictions as to what will happen next to work on comprehension. But, decoding/word attack before comprehension!

YAY! A Reader is Born!

Unknown October 13, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

oh what fun!

Mindy October 20, 2009 at 4:57 PM  

Hey there...I just emailed you a pic on me and Abby in the sling : ) at your gmail account.
Congrats on the anniversary!! Miss you!

Hugs
Melinda

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP