Baby-wearing in nature

>> Monday, August 13, 2007

We just recently returned from a family trip to Big Canoe, Georgia where we did lots of hiking and playing at the lake. I don't know what we would have done without our carriers! I met a girl there who asked "How did you take your son hiking? Did you have a hard time with the stroller on the trails?" That launched us into a good discussion about baby-wearing and different carriers. We didn't even bring a stroller!! Between me and my husband and my father, we took my 16month old son on daily hikes up to two different waterfalls, all the while carrying him in the sling or other back carriers. It was perfect. He could get down and explore but we had an easy way to carry him when we wanted to cover more ground or when the terrain got tough for his little legs. It felt like the way you are supposed to experience nature, God's creation - with my own little piece of God's handiwork carried snuggly next to me. He loved being in the woods, and my heart overflowed with joy watching him throw rocks in the creek and copy everything he saw my dad do. So much a little boy, but not too big to enjoy cuddle time with mama no matter where we may be. Even in the mountains.... maybe especially in the mountains.







Lucas with my dad (left) and me (below) in two different style back carriers getting ready to go hiking.

3 comments:

Candace April August 17, 2007 at 11:28 AM  

Very nice! I prefer a ring sling for everyday use and then a SSC for hiking.

A friend and I were just out walking around and I had my 1 year old in a sling and she had her 6 month old in a pouch and so many people asked questions, stared, whispered--I love spreading the word about babywearing!

Farrah August 17, 2007 at 5:06 PM  

I get questions everywhere too...it is fun to see people walk by and then hear them say things like "those are so neat" or " I need one of those."

What kind of SSC do you use?

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Rachael August 28, 2007 at 11:42 AM  

Hee hee, I see my Kozy in that last pic ;).

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP