A Couple Firsts

>> Thursday, March 18, 2010

We recently signed Lucas up for Karate classes. We had been talking about the idea for awhile and wanted him to have some sort of physical outlet. I like the idea of Karate because of the self-discipline and the mental focus it teaches the kids. And I kinda like that he would be able to defend himself if anyone ever tried to hurt him. But mostly, he needs an outlet for all the energy and this seemed like a good fit. The first class went great. It was a private lesson with the head instructor and Lucas loved it so we signed him up. Well, his first time in the big class went not-so-well. He was scared and nervous and wouldn't let me leave his side. Hubby (and me too) was worried that maybe this wasn't his thing. But he did better the second class and the third class was even better. He has even progressed so much that they gave him his first belt!! Now, to be fair, they give every kid this belt who gets a good home report card (being obedient, etc...) and participates in class. But after how stressful the first group class was, I wasn't sure we would get even to there. I couldn't be prouder of my little Karate-Kid! I am proud of him for sticking to it even when it was scary and hard. Watching him do the little kicks and punches and other exercises in class brings a huge grin to my face. Just look at that sweet little face!!

His first karate belt!! (Doesn't he kinda look like Luke Skywalker in this picture?)
His teacher presenting him with his belt


Another first... Caden got his first haircut today. I had trimmed it a bit myself but he had never had an actual cut... until today. He sat still for a few minutes but then I had to keep him distracted so she could finish the cut. The result... my baby doesn't look much like a baby anymore. He is getting so big so fast.
What a sweet little baby toddler!

And one more first.... I have started running. Well, I guess I should use the word "running" loosely. I am doing the Couch-to-5K training program, trying really hard to keep motivated and stay on track. I am on week 3 and so far am pretty proud of how I am sticking to it. I have a bad record with things like this, so somewhere deep down I don't expect myself to finish this (another reason I wanted Lucas to stick it out with Karate and learn that le. But I have registered and paid for a 5K on June5th so hopefully that will keep me motivated. I am really trying to do this, people! I am planning to wean Caden this summer (bye-bye breastfeeding calorie-burning!) and I have seen the poundage already start to creep up and I am not happy with it. I gotta do something!

So there you have it... a couple key firsts for all of us. :)


Need a Sling? Click here!
Subscribe to Me!! Click here for your regular dose of BabyLove Slings!

4 comments:

Mandie March 19, 2010 at 7:58 AM  

Jude got his first haircut a few weeks ago, I've been thinking of signing Q up for karate or tae-kwon-do, and I did couch-to-5k last fall! :D

I, too, had a bad record with fitness programs - I had even started c25k a couple times before! But signing up to run a race at the end of my training program (and a benefit race, no less) REALLY helped keep me on track, so to speak. You can do it!!

I need to start running again. I miss it terribly and I can tell from pushing my kids around in the double-stroller yesterday that I've already lost all the benefits of running last fall - pushing them around was TOUGH! lol

Good luck!

Anonymous March 19, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

Jamie has gone done from 4-5 nursings a day to 2-3 and I have definately seen the weight wanting to creep up. Sigh. :(
April
PS. i put it as anonymous because I couldn't get the sign in to work-just an FYI.

TwoSquareMeals March 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM  

We just signed Calvin up for soccer this Spring as an outlet for his energy (and a chance to learn some sportsmanship...he is the worst loser ever). I'll let you know how it goes. Lucas looks great in his uniform!

Way to go on the running! You are inspiring me. Linus is down to two nursings a day, and I never really did lose the baby tummy after he was born, anyway. I am thinking of taking up exercise for Easter, and the couch to 5K thing may be just the ticket. But I HATE running. Did you hate it before you started?

Anonymous March 31, 2010 at 10:43 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP