The not-so-golden arches

>> Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Here is an unfortunately true story that happened to me today....

I am driving my sick toddler to the pediatrician this morning after two nights of coughing, wheezing, fever, very little sleep... the whole nine yards. All of a sudden, I start to feel a bit sick myself - maybe hunger, maybe pukey - it is so hard to distinguish the two these days. I look at the clock and realize it is 10:30 and I haven't eaten anything all day (I've been up since 5am at this point). This is not recommended in normal circumstances but especially when you're 14weeks pregnant and constantly riding that fine line between O.K. and vomit.

As I fight off the nausea, the gleam of those yellow arches enter my peripheral vision....ah, a McDonald's. Saved. I pull in and start to ponder what I need to settle my tummy. I haven't craved much so far this pregnancy, but biscuits seem to always sound good. "I'm sure I can get a plain biscuit at McDonald's," I think. Isn't it "Have it Your Way" or maybe that is somewhere else. Well, it certainly was today.

As I pull into the drive through my cell phone says 10:38. I order a sausage biscuit planning on saving the sausage for my puppy. "Sorry, we are only serving lunch right now." Are you kidding me? "At 10:30?" I question. "Actually, it is 10:40" the voice responded.

Me: "You have no breakfast at all in the restaurant at 10:40?"

Voice: "Let me check...(2 second pause)...NOPE!"

Me: (in my head) well you don't have to be rude about it...

O.K., I think, I will just get some sweet tea. I know what you are thinking. Sweet tea at McDonald's? It is actually really good.
Voice: "Umm, it's not brewed yet."

Are you kidding me? They BREW it. Really? Although it tastes yummy and pretty authentic, I was sure it was the creation of some scientist in a lab trying to replicate one of the yummiest drinks of all time. I can't win.

Me: " Just a Sprite then."
Voice: "What size ma'am?" (dripping with sarcasm)
Buddy, I am trying so hard not to throw up. Please just get me some Sprite!!

So breakfast for me today was a MEDIUM Sprite and the emergency piece of gum I keep in my wallet for just such an occasion. Breakfast of champions. At least it got that "about to puke" taste out of my mouth. That will teach me to try to get customer service at McDonald's. Better luck next time, I guess.

6 comments:

Mindy February 20, 2008 at 11:26 PM  

This is SO typical of McDonald's. The last time I went to one it was the whole family so we had a big order and when we got to the window the kid leaned out and said to me (I kid you not) "Park it."

I was like, "Excuse me?"

What I really wanted to say I can't post on the internet, lol...but I did send a complaint to the store manager later that afternoon.

Unknown February 21, 2008 at 6:47 AM  

You should have used what strength you had to left to tell him that you are pregnant, driving a sick toddler to the doctor, about to throw up, will you stop being so darned rude?

Being pregnant and now with a baby, I try so hard to be aware of other people when we are out and about. I may not know what's going on inside, but sometimes that smile that you share with them is the only bright spot in their day.

Sheena @ Mommy Daddy Blog February 21, 2008 at 12:54 PM  

They BREW the sweet tea? It is very yummy. My peeve is when I want lunch and they are still serving breakfast! I just wrote about Burger King 2 days ago. Fastfood's in the air.

I find that on road trips we find the BEST McDonald's restaurants, great service and fresh food, it's surprising.

I have those feelings too, it's like I can't tell if I'm hungry or need to puke. I try to breathe in and out deeply at those times until I get something to settle it.

Catherine February 21, 2008 at 1:30 PM  

Oh man. I think we have another Mad About You moment on our hands. When ARE they going to make our sitcom??

Sarah February 21, 2008 at 3:38 PM  

I think BK is "Have it Your Way" but, I could be wrong. Congrats on the pregnancy! Such an exciting yet sickening time you're at right now.

McD's gets an F- in my book for service. The best one here is 40 minutes away and that's not because of their customer service but because the food is actually a few degree's higher then freezing.

I wish you the best with your pregnancy.

Anonymous February 27, 2008 at 7:36 AM  

Hi Farrah! I decided to check out your site since you are new to our Chicago Moms Blog (I write under the name Sophia Leto). Please buy a box of crackers and some lemon drops (a trick my midwife taught me -- the scent of lemon helps quell nausea) and keep them in your car. I hope you feel better soon! It can be soooo much harder to be pregnant and have to take care of another child at the same time!

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP