Stubborn but Sweet

>> Thursday, March 24, 2011

Two years ago on his 3rd birthday, I asked Lucas this series of questions to get a peek at his perspective on his world. I fully had the intent to do it every year and forgot to record his answers last year. But here they are for this year (Lucas' answers are in bold).

Favorites
:

cereal- Fruit Loops
vegetable-Broccoli
drink- Milkshake
toy- Batman
TV Show- Batman
game- Batman video game
book- Batman book (are you seeing a theme around here? Last time it was cars, now we are obsessed with superheros. Too obsessed...)
restaurant- Steak and Shake (nice)
holiday-Halloween- No wait, maybe Christmas. But at Halloween you get to dress up, so yeah, Halloween.
animal- bat

If you could change your name, what would you choose? I don't know how I would change my name. Maybe just switch the letters. Start with the U, then the L, then A and C and S. U-L-A-C-S.

What do you love about each person in our family? Daddy-He is so strong and tough, Caden-He's my brother, Hadley-that he is just part of the family, Mommy- That you always play with me

Where would you like to go on vacation this year? Gotham City (of course, silly me)

What are some of your wishes for this year? I would like to get Aquaman and Cyborg because I don't have those yet. And I would like to go to the fair. (Me:What kind of fair?) Just like a regular fair.

Is there anything are you excited about? That Mimi and Pa are coming! And we can play with them! I am so excited! It will be so fun! But I will probably be in bed when they first get here and that is not so cool. But then I will wake up and they will be here and that will be super cool!!

What can you do when you are 5 that you couldn't do when you were 4 or 3? Go to Kindergarten
What will it be like to be 5? I'm really a big boy now. It will be cool.
What do you think is the greatest thing about you? That I have a good imagination and that I am the greatest little boy in the world.


And here are his 5yr. old thoughts on Mommy....

1. What is something mom always says to you? "Do not push Caden."
2. What makes mom happy? When I obey
3. What makes mom sad? When I don't keep my promises
4. How does mom make you laugh? When she tickles me
5. What was your mom like as a child? I don't know, you probably rode a bike or something
6. How old is your mom? 60 (lovely) (Me: But Grandpa Bob is 60. Do I look as old as Grandpa Bob? No, but that is just what came to my mind.)
7. How tall is your mom? THIS tall (holds his hands wide apart)
8. What is her favorite thing to do? Play with me (it is certainly in the top 5)
9. What does your mom do when you're not around? Let me think... Since I'm not there, I don't really know. That makes sense, right. (this is almost exactly what he said 2yrs ago... so funny!)
10. If your mom becomes famous, what will it be for? Being a superhero
11. What is your mom really good at? Playing with me
12. What is your mom not very good at? Not playing with me (not sure I totally get this one, except he was trying to say that he really loves when I play with him)
13. What does your mom do for a job? She works at the hospital
14.What is your mom's favorite food? Diet Pepsi
15.What makes you proud of your mom? When she wins a run
16. If your mom were a cartoon character, who would she be? WonderWoman
17. What do you and your mom do together? Play with each other- Batman and ToyStory
18. How are you and your mom the same? We both have books
19. How are you and your mom different? We don't both have toys
20. How do you know your mom loves you? 'Cuz I just know
21. What does your mom like most about your dad? That she married him
22. Where is your mom's favorite place to go? That I don't have a good answer for. It is not coming to my mind very quickly. I'll have to think about that and tell you later.
Is there anything else you want to say that I can write here? I don't really have anything else to say.

I once again had to manage my own expectations a bit on this activity. In my heart, I thought it would be so cute to hear his answers and listen to what he had to say. In actuality, I was frustrated that just about every answer was about toys and Batman. I actually felt myself getting annoyed with him. I mean, I was asking him about himself. And he is only 5 after all, but he seems to be very self-focused and "stuff" obsessed. He really is a very affectionate kid and very tender at times. But I am seeing the need to begin teaching him a little more about service and integrity and gratitude. And not copping a major attitude. You'd think I was parenting a 13yr old girl somedays... so much drama and attitude. (BTW~ I am so grateful to NOT be parenting a 13yr old girl right now!)
But even though we are going through a bit of a stage with him right now, he is still one of the most remarkable little boys I have ever known. I recently went to see an amazing high school drama performance and as I was watching, I could totally see Lucas someday on a similar stage. He is so bright and his whole face lights up when he smiles. If he starts to sing a song or recite something and then notices someone is listening, he starts at the beginning so he can get the whole thing right. He loves to pretend and his imagination is unmatchable. He is very thoughtful and loving and yet SO, so mouthy and dramatic.
Funny how in the same post I can talk about how frustrating he is and yet how much he has my heart. Such is life as a mother of a 5year old. Actually, just life as a mother in general. :)

I Love You , Lucas Lu. You never cease to amaze me. Your future is limitless and I am so excited to see where you will go. But please don't ever stray too far from my arms. I am not complete without you. You are my world, you stubborn yet sweet little boy. Happy 5th Birthday!





Need a Sling? Click here!
Subscribe to Me!! Click here for your regular dose of BabyLove Slings!

4 comments:

Unknown March 25, 2011 at 7:22 AM  

Happy Birthday Lucas! I loved your answers and you are absolutely correct FIVE is a big boy.

Atwood-Family of FIVE March 26, 2011 at 5:06 PM  

Man I totally need to do this! i wanted to steal this idea from you 2 years ago and never did. I will for sure do it this year!

Heather March 26, 2011 at 8:02 PM  

I just love this so much!

Five is a great year. I think it's when Juliette started becoming more aware of her role in our family and our community. More empathy & sympathy developed from 5-6. It's gonna be a fun year Farrah!

Laila @OnlyLaila March 30, 2011 at 9:53 PM  

I really like those questions! I've asked some of them to my son but I particularly like the "what would you change your name to". I'm always curious about what kids think of the names we've chosen for them.

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP