Thankfulness

>> Monday, March 10, 2008

In this challenging season of my life, there are so many thoughts that occupy my mind. Thoughts of things in the past, thoughts of what may be in the future. Lots of thoughts. So many, in fact, that I can't sleep much of the time. But after reading this post by one of my dearest friends, I am humbled and reminded of what thoughts are supposed to occupy my mind during this time of year.
So just as
my friend, I am choosing to put aside the thoughts that naturally plague my mind these days and focus at least in this moment on higher things.
It is during this Lenten season that we remember Christ's work of redemption on our behalf. I am not a theologian and have never been comfortable talking about such things with those who really know what they are talking about. But from the depth of my anxious and humble heart, I speak as a girl who knows I am broken and in need of His grace and love. So here is my Lenten exercise in thankfulness.


I give thanks for the Cross and Christ's ulitmate sacrifice on my behalf. I give thanks that in the midst of his suffering, He knew I would fail him with my disobediance and negligence and yet He chose to die for me. I give thanks that from the beginning of all things, He has known me and the life path He has for me. Not only me, my children and my grandchildren and great-grandchildren too. I give thanks for my sons that He gave me to hold, one for a only a short time. I give thanks that when I could no longer hold my first, and if the day comes that I cannot hold my second, His arms are there to comfort and hold us both. I give thanks because He gives me the freedom and ability to think and make decisions, but also has ways and plans that are higher than mine and are ultimately always for my good.

I give thanks for moments of quiet when Lucas is playing on his own. I also give thanks for the moment when he realizes he has been playing on his own and runs to find me and give me a hug. I give thanks for the priceless moments when he breaks into song or wakes up singing "Father Abraham" or says "He is risen" in his sweet little toddler voice. I give thanks for times like today when he brings me a stack of books and plops down in my lap saying "Mommy, read these to you." I give thanks for those rare mornings when he sleeps past 6am and for the precious moments when he gets "cozy" in bed with us to watch "T-U."

I give thanks for the beautiful beach and the peace it always brings to my soul. I give thanks for the serenity I feel when sitting in a warm house watching the snow blanket the ground in white.

I do have so much to be thankful for. And while challenged and in the midst of a lot of drama right now, it doesn't change the abundance of grace and blessing I have been given. I need to change my perspective and this is the time of year when that is a bit easier to do.


One more thing....

I am thankful to my friend Two Square Meals for her sweet words and for giving me this award.

I am honored that she choose me, especially since I would consider myself an unlikely candidate in this category. I often feel purpose is something I need a bit more of. But, I am grateful that she seems to think I have some and maybe that means I have more than I realize. Thank You!!

I would like to pass this on to my bloggy friend Heather at Not a DIY Life for her posts about parenting and thankfulness and for always reminding me of where my thoughts ought to be focused. You truly blog with purpose.

Also to my friend Marcie at My Two Boys for her vigilence in educating us all about the joys and challenges of adoption. She is passionate about her boys (all three of them) and inspires me in her never-ending quest to be the mom/wife that they need her to be no matter how difficult that is.

And I just want to also mention my bestfriend Cath at Everyday Life as Lyric Poetry. (There are no strings or blogging expectations associated with this mention- hehe!!) She lives her whole life with purpose and her blog is a natural outflow of that. She tackles the challenge of learning about her world and its ecclectic beauty with grace and truth and challenges those around her to do the same.

Take a moment to shift your perspective today and let the things you are thankful for permeate your thoughts. I hope it touches your soul and speaks to you heart as it has mine.

3 comments:

Pickel March 10, 2008 at 10:20 PM  

Wow...thank you. When I wrote that post today my husband asked if I was okay and one of my best friends asked if other moms really make me feel that way. I was not trying to be down or hurtful but to let people know that we, moms of the special kids, need playdates too.

And yes, Farrah, I would love a playdate...but just us girls?

Unknown March 11, 2008 at 10:29 AM  

Thank you so much, Farrah! What a blessing that you appreciate what I share on my blog. I feel so blessed to have wonderful bloggy friends like you!

This is a wonderful post, too! So much to be thankful for when we just take a moment and reflect. Thanks for sharing!

Catherine March 11, 2008 at 4:22 PM  

You said: I speak as a girl who knows I am broken and in need of His grace and love.

That is the best qualification for a theologian that I know of, Farrah, and it makes you much MORE qualified to talk about God and faith than most. I love to hear what is going on in your mind and heart.

And...the words you said about me mean so much to me coming from you. Thank you...

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP