My sling is best, hands down!!

>> Sunday, November 16, 2008

You can't be a babywearing blogger and not respond to this...




It is more than a bit ridiculous for Motrin to put out such an outrageous ad. I mean, who do they think is going to watch that and say "yeah, you're right. Babywearing is painful so I think I'll go take some Motrin." All they have done is piss off a fairly powerful group of moms who are fighting back in full force.

I just had to laugh when I saw the clip. Especially the line "supposedly, it is a real bonding experience." Wow. Kinda a low blow.
I am joining in with all my babywearing friends in standing up and saying it is NOT o.k. for companies to mock babywearing/motherhood and say thing that are very untrue. It would be like Victoria's Secret releasing an ad saying "don't breastfeed- the bras are horendous and it makes your boobs saggy." While those things may actually be more true than some of the things stated in the Motrin ad, it is still angering the entire demographic you are trying to market to and degrading something we all hold in high esteem- being a mother and doing what is best for our kids. It is not about looking cool or about being in fashion. Those things are great bonuses and I happen to think that babywearing IS fashionable. I can't think of a better accessory than my little Caden's cheeks. But it IS about being a mom and knowing what is best for our children. And what is best for MY babies and for me is my sling. Hands down.
They seem to be sorry about it, but unfortunately the damage may have already been done. You don't insult a mom for nurturing he babies and then ask her to buy your product. And who controls most family budgets and buys the products used to take care of the family?.... Yeah, bad move, Motrin. Someone is going to get fired over this one. That seems pretty clear.

And just for the record, babywearing is NOT painful. Carrying that blasted infant carseat is painful. Juggling your toddler and your grocery bags without dropping either... painful. Listening to baby cry while you are trying to cook dinner knowing that all baby needs is to be held close to mommy... painful. What is the fix? Certainly not a pain reliever. It is a sling. And that is the truth.

4 comments:

Catherine November 16, 2008 at 10:25 PM  

This whole thing just baffles me - how did it get past the test markets? Because, the intended audience must be babywearing moms, right? Otherwise, why would you say "if your back hurts from babywearing, take Motrin." But babywearing moms know that we wear our babies, among other reasons, to STOP our backs from hurting! For crying out loud, every time I put on a sling, etc I sigh deeply with relief because now his weight is NOT pulling on my back. Its being spread across my body AND held up by the strength of the baby carrier itself.

So....????

TwoSquareMeals November 17, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

I don't think they were totally off. Wearing a baby does hurt if you have a bad or weak back. I can only use the Ergo (no wraps or slings, even used correctly) after my kids hit a certain weight. That's all thanks to back injuries during Calvin's pregnancy. And I don't carry either of my kids for long once they hit the 25 pound mark and can walk. I just can't do it. I have been known to take ibuprofren to help.

That said, they totally screwed up their delivery. Hello! Babywearing is not about looking trendy or about some questionable research that says it is better for baby. I think the effectiveness of it has been proven pretty well. A sympathetic ad, about how hard it can be to be a mom and do what you think is best for your child would have gone much further!

Anonymous November 17, 2008 at 2:23 PM  

I'm insulted by the ad, but at the same thing I think they took it serious and apologized and pulled (or are working on pulling) the ads quickly. I say we all mess up so it's how we deal with things when we mess up that matters. I think they are doing a good job. I still can't believe it went public from the start, but ah well.

Farrah November 17, 2008 at 2:32 PM  

I get what they were trying to say. Their intent was to say "motherhood is hard on your body" and that is true. but the statements they made about babywearing were just wrong and they should never have gone that direction. It is never a good idea to mock something that we as mothers take very seriously- the task and sacrifice of nurturing our kids.

Not everyone can breastfeed, not everyone can wear their babies, not everyone can stay home, .... but we all take the job seriously no matter what that looks like. And it was wrong of them to communicate otherwise.

But I agree with you Kelly... they realize their mistake and are sorry for it. It just makes for interesting conversation. :)

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP