Bridesmaid dresses

>> Saturday, August 2, 2008

In all this "getting ready for baby" cleaning and organizing, we have been purging closets like crazy. I had a bunch of stuff I didn't really know what to do with stored in the back of the nursery closet but it all had to be taken out to make room for two boys worth of clothes, etc.. Included in those things was my collection of bridesmaids dresses - five in all, two maternity. My collection started in June of 2000 with the most recent addition being from my sister-in-law's wedding a few months ago. I have never worn any of them again, probably never will. But the sentimental side of me has kept them in the back of the closet for years.
I pulled them all out today and thought back on all the memories that the dresses represent. My sister's wedding when I was pregnant with my first son... my friend's wedding where another friend and I stayed up all night after the wedding dying our hair... my sister-in-law's wedding where Lucas was only a few months old but still wore a tux and was the cutest thing ever... But, do I need to keep the dresses? I don't really have the closet space, truthfully. But I still have a hard time parting with them. I tend to be a keeper, thus the need for closet purging.
What have you done with your old bridesmaid dresses? Do you think the friends and family whom I originally wore the dress for would be offended if I donated them to some charity for someone else to hopefully get some use out of?
If you are reading this and one of these dresses was for your wedding (you know who you are), know that either way I was honored to stand with you on your big day. I would love your opinions, all of you.... Donate or keep?

8 comments:

Catherine August 2, 2008 at 10:40 PM  

One of those dresses was for my wedding! :)

I gave away all my dresses when I was cleaning out closets for my first child, actually. I don't remember if I gave them to a thrift store, or free-cycled, or ebay. I know it was hard to part with them but...there just wasn't room.

Atwood-Family of FIVE August 3, 2008 at 8:01 AM  

I gave all mine away a few months ago. I felt the same way, but I was never going to wear them again and giving them away let someone else use them for prom or something. Hopefully no one was offended.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph August 3, 2008 at 6:37 PM  

I've never really thought about it. I do think it might be kinda fun to save if you ever DO decide to have another child and have a girl someday. And if any are possibly reusable? I have had one shortened (it's not just a cliche!!!) to wear again. Otherwise, I know that many times around prom season some charities take unwanted dresses to give to girls that can't afford a nice dress. That would be wonderful!

Steph

Anonymous August 4, 2008 at 1:09 PM  

My mom saved all her bridesmaid and prom dresses from the 70's and 80's and we used them as dress up clothes - it was awesome! I keep some of my old clothes and dresses that I know I won't wear anymore specifically for that purpose for the future.

Heather August 4, 2008 at 8:37 PM  

I kept the two from my sister's weddings both of which I have been able to wear again. They were essentially sundresses.I think they are outdated now so I may need to re-evaluate.

My third dress was terribly stained from having to sit on the bathroom floor at the reception while nursing my baby with whole top pulled down. So I couldn't donate it or sell it. I use it as a grown up dress up when I play dress up with my fancy girl.

Heather August 4, 2008 at 8:38 PM  

Oh....and did you see 27 dresses?

TwoSquareMeals August 5, 2008 at 2:48 PM  

I have no sentimental attachment to those things, so I may not be of any help. I donated mine to a charity that used them for prom dresses for girls who couldn't afford to buy one. If you can do that, it may ease the pain of letting go...:) Of course, the maternity ones may not be of much use...maybe for a pregnancy crisis shelter?

Julie August 7, 2008 at 12:57 PM  

sell, donate, turn into a sling... just kidding about the sling. i don't mind, seriously.

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP