Generations- Psalm Sunday

>> Sunday, August 3, 2008

We read this Psalm in church today and it struck me as so appropriate for me at this point in my life. I am getting ready to add another son to our family and I spend my days explaining any number of things to Lucas. "Mommy, talk about..." police cars, babies, delivery trucks, trees, car washes, light, stars... you name it, he wants to hear about it. He is a very curious kid and soaks it all in like a sponge. And although we have been reading to him out of a little toddler Bible for awhile, we have just recently begun to tell him bible stories as he is falling asleep instead of or in addition to singing "Jesus songs" (as he calls them). "Mommy, talk about Jonah" or Noah or Zacchaeus or "Jesus feeding all the people." It is my job as his mother to teach him these stories and about all the wondrous things our God has done. And it does my heart good to hear him be able to tell the stories right back to me and even correct me if I leave anything out.
This week's Psalm is on the long side, so I just put in an excerpt. It talks all about how God took care of His people but they did not always appreciate it. They rebelled against Him, they did not put their trust in Him. Yet He still took care of His flock and protected them and met their needs.

God takes care of His people. Even when we don't see it, even when we are afraid, even when we have very low platelets and are nervous about giving birth in 7days.... My response to His faithfulness should be obedience and praise and thanksgiving and to pass on the news of His goodness to my boys. So when they have times when it is hard to blindly trust, they too will be able to stand confident in His faithfulness and walk where He leads. Lord, help me to remember your faithfulness and trust in your goodness. And most of all, to teach my boys to do the same.


Psalm 78
1 O my people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth.
2 I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter hidden things, things from of old-
3 what we have heard and known, what our fathers have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done.
5 He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, which he commanded our forefathers to teach their children,
6 so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children.
7 Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.
8 They would not be like their forefathers— a stubborn and rebellious generation, whose hearts were not loyal to God, whose spirits were not faithful to him.
9 The men of Ephraim, though armed with bows, turned back on the day of battle;
10 they did not keep God's covenant and refused to live by his law.
11 They forgot what he had done, the wonders he had shown them.
12 He did miracles in the sight of their fathers in the land of Egypt, in the region of Zoan.
13 He divided the sea and led them through; he made the water stand firm like a wall.
14 He guided them with the cloud by day and with light from the fire all night.
15 He split the rocks in the desert and gave them water as abundant as the seas;
16 He brought streams out of a rocky crag and made water flow down like rivers.
...
52 But he brought his people out like a flock; he led them like sheep through the desert.
53 He guided them safely, so they were unafraid; but the sea engulfed their enemies.


Shelter (To every Generation) - Bill Batstone
You have been a shelter Lord
To every generation, to every generation
A sanctuary from the storm
To every generation, to every generation, Lord.

Though the mountains fall, Though the earth should shake,
Though the seas should roar with all the heartache.
Though our hearts should pound, Though our throats be dry,
We will lift Your Name on high.

4 comments:

Unknown August 5, 2008 at 7:00 AM  

Oh Farrah! This is wonderful! I cannot wait for the day when Ladybug says, "Talk about Jesus."

Thanks also for your encouragement in this area of mommyhood. I want to be the kind of mother that makes God proud. I pray every day for God's wisdom and guidance to be a good mom. Not just a good mom, but a godly mom.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown August 5, 2008 at 7:11 AM  

ps... great belly pic!! so sweet!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com August 5, 2008 at 10:16 AM  

How exciting that you're so close to meeting your new baby!! My fingers are crossed for an easy delivery and healthy baby...

Mindy August 6, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

Such a great post and such a true message! Thanks for the reminder to wait on Him, trust and remain obedient.

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP