Babywearing is Good Medicine

>> Monday, September 15, 2008

Today has been one of the longest days so far since Caden has been born and it is only 1pm. But, when you get about 4hrs. of sleep between 10pm and 7am it makes for a long day.

Lucas has a cold and goes into these coughing fits. Hubby spent over an hour getting him to go to bed and Lucas finally settled down around 9. He slept until around midnight but was then up for a loooong time before he finally settled back down and slept for another couple hours. After I got Lucas back down (I was trying to let Hubby get as much sleep as he could since he had to work today), Caden took awhile to settle into sleep since he was up with me and Lucas for awhile. I think I finally fell asleep around 4 and woke up at 6:45. Not enough sleep for me.

The morning was ok. I actually got a few needed phone calls made and Lucas seemed to be feeling better (aka- no more fever). But around 11am, the you-know-what hit the fan. Lucas started to melt down. He wouldn't eat any lunch, he only wanted to play and cry. I did convince him to take one bite of mac-n-cheese but no sooner had he swallowed it than he started one of his coughing fits (he gets himself really worked up) and he threw up all over me and himself. Lovely. At this point, he is crying and Caden is crying and I am frustrated and wanting to cry. I think at one point I even said out loud that this felt like hell. Screaming kids all around, I am covered in vomit and really don't know what else to do.

So what did I do?.... the only thing I could think of (no, not drink but that may have helped). I strapped on my kids and starting walking. I walked up and down our hallway until Caden fell asleep and Lucas got quiet. After about 10min. I stopped and started to sit down. I heard Lucas from behind me whisper, "Keep walking, Mommy." So I got back up and walked some more. I started singing any and every praise song that came into my head. Partly because Lucas loves "Jesus songs" and I thought he might go to sleep and partly because I needed a shift in my perspective. I was so frustrated and could feel myself falling into that "why me?/poor me" mentality. That leads to mommy-guilt faster than anything else for me 'cuz it makes me say and think things that I don't like or want to be true about me.
So we walked... well I walked and the boys came along for the ride. If it wasn't chilly outside and I was wearing more than a tanktop, I would have gone outside. After another 20minutes or so, I put Lucas down and we all went upstairs to nap. Lucas sat next to me in his bed and we read books for 20min. while Caden nursed. Finally, at 1pm, I sit here and all my boys are asleep. Even the dog is asleep after pacing with me for half the time just 'cuz he was a little confused about what I was doing.

It has been a long night/morning to say the least but I have to say that I feel a little proud of myself for
wearing down both my boys and using babywearing to calm us all. Now I am off to catch a few winks before we have to do it all over again this afternoon. Hopefully, a little rest will do us all some good.

5 comments:

Catherine September 15, 2008 at 2:50 PM  

Oh, I'm so sorry - but proud of you too. Here's to long naps for all of you...

Mindy September 15, 2008 at 6:54 PM  

Good for you!! First, for tending so smartly to your boys' needs (and yours) and for managing to sing praise songs when you probably felt like doing anything but. Nice job. : )

Atwood-Family of FIVE September 16, 2008 at 7:32 AM  

Wow, all I can say is you are SUPER MOM! I would have banished both kids to their rooms/cribs and went to my own and cried myself to sleep. I am so proud of you and impressed that you stuck to it and gave your kids the comfort they needed.

Ps. I have heard a spoonful of honey has the same effect as cough medicine at night to help stop a cough. It's all natural and might be worth a try. We did it once with Anne and she (of course) LOVED it!

Mary Z September 16, 2008 at 2:50 PM  

Sounds like the kids would do well if they learn to sleep in the real world. it is ahrd to keepthem worn out all the time. they need to learn to entertain themselves and get worn down organically.

Heather September 16, 2008 at 9:27 PM  

Oh what a terrible day. You are such a wonderful Mama. Your boys won't understand for a long time everything you've given up and given them, but they are so blessed to have you.

I do believe the spoon full of honey remedy too...only in our family it was always a spoonful of whisky and honey...stopped every cough I ever had. ;-)

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP