Frustration

>> Saturday, January 12, 2008

I am SO frustrated right now!!!

Kids are unaware of weekends. Lucas woke up at 6:15, like clockwork. Now, it is after 10am and hubby is still in bed. Not only that but he woke up at 9:30 to kick the dog out of the bed and then went back to sleep. He should get up and be with Lucas and help me out, right?

Here is the background that complicates things. Hubby had a really tough week at work. He works in talk radio and the morning show that he developed and produces has been traveling and dealing with sick calls this week so he has been getting to work at like 3 or 4 am and not really coming home all that early. So he is very tired. I had a fun night of Thai food and hanging out with the girls last night (Thanks
Cath, Heather, April, Cat, and Elizabeth!!!) and when I got home at 11:30 hubby was asleep. I assume he went to bed early after his long week. So he has been sleeping for probably over 12 hours at this point. He has always been one to love his sleep. We have dealt in the past with him not getting up to help me unless I specifically ask him. It had gotten some better for awhile but has kinda slipped again.

I really did want him to get extra rest this morning. But at what point does he need to just get up?!?! I will not go wake him. I feel guilty about it. He needs his sleep. It is his only day to sleep in. I can nap with Lucas later. It is my job as mommy to get up. Etc... But his long work week was not just hard on him. And don't I deserve to have a sleep-in day now and then too?

I don't want to wake him up. He really does deserve some extra sleep. But I also don't want the rest of our Saturday to be tainted by my passive-aggresive frustration at the events of this morning. And I know myself and that I often let my frustration build and not express it in healthy ways until it explodes and it gets ugly.

Lucas and I are having a pretty good morning. Cooking, puzzles, books, trucks.... the standards around here. I need to just let it go. Or should he get up? I really don't know.


Update: It is now a little after 11 and hubby got up shortly after I posted the above. I felt a little frustrated but really was able to just let it go. Venting it all here really helped, thinking maybe someone would hear me. :) Now, he has told me I can come upstairs and rest for awhile and he'll take Lucas and do lunch and whatever. Thanks hubby. Sorry for getting frustrated before.

5 comments:

Catherine January 12, 2008 at 12:36 PM  

I heard you!!

I'm proud of you for expressing your frustration, and glad you're getting some rest now too.

Isn't it funny how late 11:30 is these days? (at least for me). A woke up today at 5am, and I was NOT happy about it. I managed to get him down again for a little bit but...augh!!

But I had lots of fun last night. :)

Rachael January 12, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

That is so frustrating! I can relate to an extent b/c when DH struggles in winter with his SAD the burden of David/household care falls on me and it gets old after awhile. Even though I know Dh's not feeling so drained and energy-less on purpose, it still affects me too. I think writing out your frustrations honestly is a good way to help process them - i would do that all the time in my journal and on paper when i needed to over the past few years and it really helps a lot (see my entry today for example).

I wish kids had a snooze button we could push to make them go back to sleep on the weekends!

Unknown January 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

I wish babies had snooze buttons, too! My hubby is guilty of the sleeping in, and since I'm breastfeeding, I have to get up with the little one. He also has a demanding job and loves his sleep and I get frustrated too. Not so much that I want to sleep in, cuz I am usually not ABLE to sleep in. But mostly because this is his main time with the little one. He sometimes only gets to see her for an hour/day during the week.

So you're not the only mommy to feel the frustration!

TwoSquareMeals January 12, 2008 at 5:18 PM  

I could have written that post! I know that hubby works full time and is in grad school, up late often doing work. But I sometimes wish for just one Saturday morning to sleep in. Just one.

Mindy January 13, 2008 at 9:19 PM  

I understand completely Farrah. We have a similar issue around the TV. DH comes home, plops in front of it after dinner and doesn't do a thing unless I ask. This becomes an issue when I ask him to help with Aspen and he will start to play with her then start staring at the tube again. Sometimes I just want to unplug the darn thing.

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP