Feeling kinda Green

>> Thursday, January 24, 2008


I've written in the past about how I feel I should be doing more to protect our earth, to make it a better place for Lucas both now and in the future. I fall FAR short most days of being environmentally-conscious but today I am patting myself on the back for at least some good effort. Some steps in the right direction perhaps...


Lucas wore cloth diapers all day today, even when we went out to a friend's house. That is a rarity for me. But when he gets colds he tends to get horrible diaper rash so I did it as a precaution.

I was inspired by my friend April to start making my own juice, so I have been. We started simple and then today we made apple-carrot-pineapple juice. It is super yummy and a good cold-weather-amuse-your-toddler activity. Lucas is OBSESSED with cooking so he thought it was very cool that we were making our own juice. "Loud noise, mommy! Cooking juice!" He gulps it right up and mommy feels good that he is getting his veges. :) This may not be a particularly "green" thing to do, but it is more natural so I counted it.

My friend Cath and I just joined a local CSA which will start this spring. I am excited about all the fresh, yummy, organic produce and learning some new recipes when I have a bushel of artichokes. Cath did get a cookbook similar to this one to get us started.

The gas company guy came by today to see if we qualified for a rate freeze so Nicor can't raise our rates. He asked me if I wanted to make a portion of my natural gas come from "green" sources. Why not? It is a little extra each month but seems like the right thing to do. Renewable resources, right?


So, small steps that may not be much. But it makes me feel like I am on the right path anyway. At least today.

3 comments:

Unknown January 24, 2008 at 8:09 PM  

I LOVE making my own juice! So many yummy combinations. And it can be a "green" thing to do if you use the pulp (the leftover stuff) in your compost. Not that I've done that myself, although I would if I had a garden. Hmmm, maybe this summer....

Rachael January 25, 2008 at 12:21 PM  

Go you! Little things do make a difference. I think we're going to do a CSA this summer too since there's now a pick-up in my city.

By the way - are you coming tomorrow? It would be fun to see you again! Let me know :).

Catherine January 25, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

Cloth diapers!!!!! If you convert, I'll be all alone! Don't do it! (Wait...I mean...um...)

:)

Ok, we TOTALLY need to make juice. Any instructions or tips I need?

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP