Sling Use #5,245

>> Sunday, May 24, 2009

If your shopping cart's seat belt is broken and you have a squirmy little munchkin in the seat, just put the sling around both them and the seat back and tighten and go. :) Voila! Seatbelt. Thank heavens for my sling!

I had my first market of the season on Saturday. It went fine, I suppose. A bit disappointing, but overall OK. It is so hard for me to remove myself from the product. I put so much of my time and energy and heart into these slings. I take time away from my babies or from the sleep my body needs to sew them and make them perfect. I pray over each sling while sewing it- praying for the mama and the baby that will get to use it and enjoy it together. Then when I am at the market and people don't respond as I feel they should to this product that I value and love, I feel personally rejected. I know that is a bit dysfunctional and probably says something profound about my character flaws or overall emotional health. But, mostly it just feels like a let down to have put so much in and get so little back. Looking over my numbers from the previous two years, the market in May has historical low sales. But I was hoping for more and felt a bit let down. I had the thought while I was there that maybe I should just buy some chickens and sell eggs. The egg people seemed to be having a good day. Or maybe I should learn how to make cheese. Or handbags. Both of those items seem to be big sellers. But my heart wouldn't be in selling cheddar or tote bags. My heart is in babywearing and teaching moms about how awesome it is. I love showing a mom how to put her baby in a sling instead of that dreadful "very popular carrier that will remain unmentioned." I love to hear her say how comfortable it is and how cozy baby looks in the sling. I love teaching people about how great (and convenient) it can be to have your baby close and nurture them in that way. That is my heart. That is why I do this and not sell cage-free chicken eggs. I have to remind myself of that when the sales disappoint me. So as to not paint myself as this altruistic saint, I do this to make extra money for my family too. Which is why I get bummed on days like yesterday. Oh well, just pick up and get ready for June. Right? One silver lining.... I won't have to sew as much to get ready for my next market. :) And I spent about 5hours staring at this hottie boy in the BBQ ribs booth just across the aisle in my line of sight. I am a mother of three... I should be ashamed of myself. But if you could have seen his cute little- um, smile. :)

Anyway, I hope y'all have a great Memorial Day and celebrate our great country. And the men and women who have fought to make it so great.


Need a Sling? Click here!
Subscribe to Me!! Click here for your regular dose of BabyLove Slings!

5 comments:

Mindy May 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM  

Ah, Farrah, I can so identify with how you feel. When others are not as on fire for something you create with sweat and passion it's hard. There's nothing dysfunctional about that. I was the same way with my dolls, my soaps and every other handmade item I've attempted to peddle. It seems to me that the babywearing is a calling in your heart, likely put there by the Lord, and so just try to trust in Him that He will manage your sales according to His divine plan.

And hey, there's nothing wrong with a little eye candy now and then either, right? ; )

shona congo May 25, 2009 at 6:11 AM  

When I was last in the US I decided to attend my first ever craft fair (as a vendor). I concluded that it takes a really strong person to bring their own handcrafted items to these fairs and markets. I mean so much hardwork and love is put into each design, and 90% of people are simply looking for something else (usually food). Although that makes sense logically, I couldn't help feeling like throwing myself down in front of the crowds of people and demanding that they actually look at our work. I think the more passionate you are about what you make, and why you make it, the greater the struggle can sometimes be. All I can say is that I hope you realize the kind of strength and determination you are showing simply by attending these venues. You have beautiful slings and in a world that has gotten too full of contraptions of all sort, I am sure the simplicity of a sling will speak to so many women. Hang in there! I'm sure your season will pick up. As they say in Congo "Courage"!

Unknown May 25, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

Oh friend, I wish your day were better. I can't imagine how hard it must be to get any sewing done in your "spare" time.

I know how it feels to put your heart into something though! I made a blanket and pillow set for Katherine to take to her new school (she will be napping at school a couple times a week) and the elation I felt when she approved was amazing.

I love my sling, and even though I didn't make this one (you did) I feel put out when people don't "get" babywearing or extol the virtues of that "other carrier" and won't even try a sling.

You have a great product, that you put a lot of love into. It is a blessing to anyone who buys one or at the very least whose eyes are opened to the virtues of babywearing by your demonstration.

Unknown May 25, 2009 at 7:02 PM  

Oh yeah, thanks for the great sling use tip!

Ashley May 26, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

hehe, love it! did you snap a photo of said cutie?

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP