Stroller Envy

>> Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Oh, the dreaded disease. Stroller envy. Have you ever caught a case? Is there any cure other than an indulgent purchase of a stroller that is probably more than you can afford and maybe even more than you need?

Whenever I am out, I am constantly checking out the double strollers that I see. Too wide... too cluncky.... too cheap looking... I love wearing my babies ( my toddler too). But there are just times when it is super convenient to let the kiddos ride in the stroller and not on mama. My very generous mother-in-law bought us a used double stroller (a sit-and-stand type) that I have used a couple times and have a terrible time pushing it around. It is ok in the mall. And I used it once at the zoo. But it is really hard on walks (heavy to push, doesn't turn well) and on any surface that is not flat and smooth.

So here is my dilemma... The stroller that I have long lusted after is on sale through Costco for several hundred dollars cheaper than normal. The Phil & Ted in-line double stroller is, well pretty. I love that it is not too wide and that is is good quality and that it is super light yet sturdy. But as I was reading about this stroller, trying to picture myself actually buying it since it is such a great price, I got this bad feeling in my stomach. Oh, no... this isn't what I need! The total weight limit is 88lbs. This sounds like a lot but when you break it down, the back seat can only hold 33lbs with 55lbs. in the front. You can use it with an infant carrier but I don't use that anymore. The rear seat turns into some sort of bouncer but Caden is going to walk any day now so that is useless to me too. AHHHH!! This stroller that I love and is now on sale is still impractical for me to buy!! I would be able to use it now (A LOT!!) and probably through next fall and maybe even into the winter. But I think that by next spring and summer, Caden may weigh more than 33lbs. since he weighs around 25lbs now. Lucas weighs about 35 or 40 lbs so maybe I would get more use out of it than I think. But still.... I wish I would have bought it a year ago or even at the beginning of spring. Then I would feel like I was getting my $300 worth out of it. Actually, I wish I would have invested in a really nice stroller when Lucas was born. It is just hard to have the foresight and the disposable income. :)

So, do I spend $300 and get a really nice stroller that I would get a lot of use out of for a relatively short amount of time? Or do I spend more money and get a stroller that I would use for a longer amount of time (ie: a more side-by-side with a higher weight limit)? Or do I use the one I have and stop falling prey to this "disease of the fortunate?" I have 3 strollers in my garage right now. And here I sit, trying to figure out if I should spend several hundred dollars on a new one. Kinda wrong on some level. I have been looking on CraigsList with no luck so far.

Do you have a stroller that you love? Or is there one you would love to have? Any advice on my current predicament? I welcome any comments or advice. Help me cure this disease.


Need a Sling? Click here!
Subscribe to Me!! Click here for your regular dose of BabyLove Slings!

9 comments:

Atwood-Family of FIVE May 27, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

We are totally in the same predicatment except we have no double stroller. Anne is 3 and when the summber is over when are we going to use it except on an occassional trip to the mall...she is old enough-and getting older-that she can walk most of the time, so how can I justify several hundred dollars on a double stroller I will use for a few months (and when I have 4 strollers in the garage right now!). I totally agree-I would LOVE a double stroller so I'm not forced to wear one of the kids or make one walk all the time, but again, how do I justify the money? I wouldn't buy the stroller-the time you need to use it is sooo short. L is almost 3 and a half and before you know it will be old enough to walk all the time when you want to go out-excpet for occasional long walks. Anything other than that is probably shorter walks interspersed with rest time (going to the mall-when you get to stores, he can rest, going to the zoo, at the animal cages he gets to rest and look, etc.) I wish I had some better advice for you but from one mama in the boat to another, that's my 2 cents.

Just Me May 27, 2009 at 8:31 AM  

I would buy it.
A) I love phil and teds.
B) they hold resale value well
C) as I am having #4 I may convince b to let me buy it off of you.
d) they really are awesome strollers

TwoSquareMeals May 27, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

Strollers are my downfall, but I think I have finally settled. I would wait and invest in a nice single stroller once Lucas has decided he likes walking. We sold our double before Linus was born because it was so big and took up too much room. We only used it in the mall and for travel, so the boys just started walking. They wanted to walk most of the time anyway. You could look for a good deal on a double stroller on Craigslist if you need one for walks and such, then sell it in the Fall or Winter and get your money back. As far as single strollers, I love my Valco Buggster (which I got on Craigslist, new in the box).

Heather May 27, 2009 at 7:44 PM  

tnat stroller looks awesome.

I got a double combi side by side on craigslist and love it.

it is very lightweight, fits through a normal doorway, etc.

that being said i really rarely use strollers, but on long walks or at the zoo it's been great. i did use it the most when ivy was about a year old and juliette was about three.

not sure i will be using it much longer now though...

also i really like the little surf board on the back of my single stroller....i have used that way more then the double this past year so far.

Aimee @ Smiling Mama May 28, 2009 at 3:45 PM  

Wouldn't a stroller like this--especially lightly used--sell well on Craigslist? You could justify the price more easily, perhaps, if you know that you will get approx. 1/3 or more back if you sell it in a year. Just a thought!! (Also, why not sell 1 or 2 or 3 of the ones in your garage to help fund this one?)

Atwood-Family of FIVE May 29, 2009 at 8:05 AM  

I thought of one more thing-I know I'm the minority voice here-telling you not to get it, but hey you need both sides, right? You would probably only be able to use this stroller, max, for another 6 months. If the back weight is 33lbs, C is going to be that heavy in just a few months. From age one to 2, kids gain an average of 6lbs, that means about a pound every 2 months. So if C winds up being 30 lbs or so at a year, he would be 33 by 18 months, etc. So is it worth $300 for 6 months of use?

Also, we just went to the zoo for the first time w/ 2 kids and a single stroller. It went SO great! I can't even tell you how pleased I was. I wore J for most of the time, he was in a sleepy wrap and i never got tired or anything. The times I didn't wear him, A was happy to walk and when seh wasn't we just stopped and looked at whatever animal was there. Good luck in your choice!

Mindy May 31, 2009 at 9:42 PM  

Farrah I have been in this very position with almost every piece of baby gear we've bought for Abby. Same issues, do I spend lots on new items for just one more baby? Or do I make do with what I can find second hand that may not be just what I want but will work? Am I a bad person for wanting to spend a lot on some of these items?

After reading the other comments I'd have to say if you will love it AND use it, get it. It does sound like it has a good resale value too, so when you're done with it you may be able to recoup some of your investment.

Who knows, it might even inspire you to do more walking and go on more excursions, which would be an added benefit to you and the boys.

Unknown June 16, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

Farrah, did you ever get a stroller? We got a baby jogger city double and I can't tell you how much I love it. It was a chunk of change, but holds up to 100lbs, I can steer it with one hand, and it is narrow enough to fit through standard doorways. We have even flown with it!

Anonymous December 18, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

Hi !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://exiqizexu.exactpages.com/ukyfaken.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP