Thumb Sucker

>> Tuesday, February 24, 2009


A momentous night- Caden is officially a thumb-sucker! He went to bed at 8:15 but woke at 9:30. He didn't need to nurse, he just needed help going back to sleep. I patted and sang. And then... he found his thumb and started sucking until he drifted back to sleep. Hooray!! It is something I have wished for, hoped for, thinking that it would help him learn to self-soothe and maybe sleep longer stretches at night. And it probably will. But watching him suck his thumb (while it was super, super cute!) made me jump to worrying about possible future reprecutions of this new habit. Braces? Eventually having to break the habit? There is also a small (and I mean small) twinge of "What! My baby doesn't need me to soothe him?" Oh well. For now, I hope it does help him sleep better. He is still my clingy, breastmilk loving, momma's boy. He'll just hopefully be my clingy momma's boy who sleeps most of the night in his co-sleeper and lets momma get rejuvenating rest.
I actually hear him crying now.... that's my boy! :) A little nursies and his thumb and maybe he'll be down for the count. Stay tuned...

For more Wordful Wednesday, visit Angie at Seven Clown Circus


Oh, and don't you love my new blog layout? Thank you, Drea, from Uniquely Placed!!






Subscribe to Me!! Click here for your regular dose of BabyLove Slings!

14 comments:

tiarastantrums February 24, 2009 at 11:43 PM  

I always wanted a thumb sucker - never got one!!

Carebear February 25, 2009 at 12:58 AM  

Awww... so sweet. Our five month old has been a thumb sucker for a couple of months and I LOVE IT! Our first was definitely not a self-soother. Come to think of it he was not soothed at all, by anyone. I keep hearing I'm going to hate the thumb when she's 4 and we're trying to break the habit, but right now I think it's the cutest thing!

Jocasta February 25, 2009 at 1:27 AM  

I've got two! Love it!

Brenda February 25, 2009 at 5:56 AM  

He is adorable! Don't worry, they quit eventually, its not that bad.

Hootin Anni February 25, 2009 at 6:02 AM  

Oh my.....now, I'm a grannie from way back...kids of mine are near 40 and over 40...and I had a thumb sucker...don't fret!!! Honestly...don't fret.

BEAUTIFUL photo!!!!

My Wordful is about the 'twin towers' here in our city. Stop by if you can. I'd love your company.

Atwood-Family of FIVE February 25, 2009 at 6:19 AM  

My parenting advice: Do what's easy and what works now and worry about fixing it later. It's what I lived when Anne was a baby and so many of the things I worried about-rocking and nursing to sleep, bottles, etc weren't even things I ever had to break habits on. She was fine giving them up in a reasonable amount of time. For me, it has never been as bad as I thought it would be to break a habit or do something regarding my child that I dreaded as I thought it woudl be. Enjoy the cuteness!!

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 6:50 AM  

That is absolutely precious! The cheeks are so cute!

Drea February 25, 2009 at 6:52 AM  

i was a thumb sucker... a bad one. i sucked my thumb until i was like 12... got braces.. my dad told me if i did it again he'd make me pay back 4,000 dollars hahaha... so i stopped.. but honestly at 25 theres still an urge to suck my thumb! isnt that weird? i restrain myself for many reason lol

Simply AnonyMom February 25, 2009 at 7:08 AM  

What a prcious picture.

My little girl was a thumbsucker. She outgrew it pretty easily, but when she is really scared it comes back automatically.

Unknown February 25, 2009 at 7:51 AM  

How SWEET is that picture!!!

We have 2 thumbsuckers too...only one (my oldest) knows that it helps, lol...Benjamin can't quite figure it out at sleepy time...oh well :)

And I thought I said earlier, but now it's not there....LOVE the new look of the blog! Beautiful!!!

Claremont First Ward February 25, 2009 at 10:46 AM  

I always wanted a thumb sucker! Lucky you! :)

Heather February 25, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

Oh soo sooo cute! He's always gonna need you....
the thumb is awesome though...we ofcourse have a finger sucker and I couldn't be happier that she does it.

Love the new blog!

LaTonya Yvette February 25, 2009 at 9:28 PM  

How adorable!

Anonymous March 14, 2010 at 1:35 AM  

Genial post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP