Painting to be Perfect

>> Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Am I the only one who waits until the night before people are coming over to cross things off my to-do list? Here I am at 11pm, the night before 6moms and toddlers are coming over for a toddler valentine party, painting a spot on the wall and framing pictures and baking banana bread among other things. The spot on the wall has needed to be fixed for months. But I don't want to host my friends with a big white putty spot on my wall, so it must be fixed tonight. I have always been motivated by deadlines so it is not surprising that I am doing all these things tonight. It may be pride, but mostly just my desire for everything to be as perfect as possible when I am playing hostess. Here we go again with my epitaph "She had some great ideas but...." Nothing ever turns out exactly as perfect as I would like it to, like the picture in my head. But that doesn't stop me from trying.

I love to be the hostess, but I have very high expectations for myself. Perfect house, perfect decorations, perfect food, perfect party.... totally unattainable and dooming myself for disappointment. But I fall into this trap everytime.


I am really trying this time to keep my own expectations within manageble limits. I have delegated and am trying to keep things simple. Yet, here I am baking and painting at 11 pm.
This
whole margin-thing is a process, I guess.

I am really excited for the party and think it will be super-fun. I'll let you know how the party goes. :)

Subscribe to Me!! Click
here for your regular dose of BabyLove Slings!

3 comments:

Just Me February 5, 2009 at 1:45 PM  

farrah I think you live in my head sometimes

Mindy February 5, 2009 at 8:08 PM  

I'm the same way so don't feel bad. I am a total perfectionist when it comes to my home, especially when I'm expecting company.

TwoSquareMeals February 6, 2009 at 10:11 PM  

Have you ever read "Open Heart, Open Home"? It has some great things to say about creating an hospitable home while dropping the perfectionist mentality. I am totally like you, and it really freed me up. Of course, I will still try to clean before you come next weekend...

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP