A New Beginning

>> Friday, January 2, 2009

My Family
(L to R- hubby, me, my mom, my beautiful sister Ashley, Caden, my dad, Lucas)



Bloggy-land is running over this week with posts full of resolutions and goals and the best of intentions. I am no different than my fellow moms in that I have several (ok, LOTS) of areas in my life that need improvement and are in desperate need of a resolution or two. But, you aren't gonna see a list here. Sure, I have one. Not written down anywhere, mostly in my head. And I am not gonna list it here, at least not yet. It is a work in process. I am pondering the list in my mind, in my heart, and praying that God will show me how to move forward from here.
In years past, I have started the new year with any number of things I want to change in my life in the coming months. Lose weight, get in shape, read more, pray more, yell less, spend less, ... I keep up with these things off and on, but like most people, my resolve fizzles fairly quickly. Because of my usual trend, I am approaching things a little differently this year. Instead of adding more things that I have to remember to do, to be, to accomplish.... I am subtracting. I am simplifying. Cutting out the things that clutter my mind, my day, the top of my desk. I am reading some really clarifying books that are helping me gain much-needed perspective. I am thinking of ways to keep life organized and simple and stress-free. Beyond that though, I am taking a strong look at the ways we spend our days and "free time." Am I filling my days with things that matter and am I filling them too much? I am learning that my own whole-ness and that of my boys (young, old and canine) really depends on how well I am able to filter out the unnecessary clutter in all areas of life.
So, expect some up-coming posts on how I am reducing my lists and not adding to them. About how I am cutting things out and not adding more things in. Whatever your resolutions or goals are for the coming year, I pray that God would show you how to proceed, give you the perseverance to stick to it, and the grace to not get down on yourself if you can't. I have always been one to have very high expectations of myself. So this time I am trying to just see things for what they are and pray that God would help me make the small adjustments that will make a big difference.

6 comments:

Atwood-Family of FIVE January 3, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

Very cool take on resolutions. I like it. Excited to hear more on it! :)

Mindy January 3, 2009 at 6:25 PM  

Amen to that philospohy! I think we all need to slow down and take a hard look at what we do and don't do and what really matters! Good for you!

I have a question for moms at the end of my post for today, I hope you'll come by and give me your thoughts.

Amanda January 3, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

Sifting... Nice.

Love the picture of the whole family...please tell Ash and your 'rents hello for me!!

Literacygirl January 4, 2009 at 10:13 PM  

There is a really good book that is written by to nutritional therapists that are also RDs, titled "Intuitive Eating". It is my Bible in fact. It is authored by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch. If you want to borrow it, just let me know.

Literacygirl January 4, 2009 at 10:15 PM  

PS- I hope you are not giving up Real Housewives.

Ashley January 28, 2009 at 4:44 PM  

That picture is also up on the "WANTED" poster at the post office.

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP