Finding Focus- Psalm Sunday

>> Sunday, May 18, 2008

Maybe it is a product of motherhood and maybe it just a product of being me, but I often find myself loosing site of proper perspective on any number of things. This kinda hit me today as I sat in church as many of my friends talked about the awesome night they had all together a couple nights before bowling and singing karaoke. Even though I chose not to go, I still felt jealous that I hadn't been there for their fun time of bonding and hanging out together. I started realizing that I am too motivated by my need to feel accepted or "cool" to others. I do or say certain things because I am concerned about my social standing or what others thing of me. I am awkward at social conversation in the best of circumstances but if I am feeling "out" it is even more uncomfortable. And as I sat in church today, wanting to go home because I felt weird and out of place and uncomfortable, I realized that I had totally lost focus on why it is I go to church. I am there to affirm my relationship with God and grow and worship. It is not about me feeling cool or accepted by people I think are cool. It is about taking time out of my focus-less life to realign my eyes to the source of all the love and acceptance I should need. It is about expressing my gratitude for who He is and all He has done for me and how He walks with me through all of life's "ins and outs." Cool or not, my God loves me and died for me and deserves my praise.

So here is my exercise for this week in regaining proper focus.

Psalm 111

1 Praise the LORD. I will extol the LORD with all my heart in the council of the upright and in the assembly.
2 Great are the works of the LORD; they are pondered by all who delight in them.
3 Glorious and majestic are his deeds, and his righteousness endures forever.
4 He has caused his wonders to be remembered; the LORD is gracious and compassionate.
5 He provides food for those who fear him; he remembers his covenant forever.
6 He has shown his people the power of his works, giving them the lands of other nations.
7 The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy.
8 They are steadfast for ever and ever, done in faithfulness and uprightness.
9 He provided redemption for his people; he ordained his covenant forever—holy and awesome is his name.
10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.


"Amazing Love" (Hillsong)

I’m forgiven, because you were forsaken
I’m accepted, you were condemned
I’m alive and well, you’re spirit is within me
Because you died and rose again

Amazing love, how can it be
That you my king would die for me
Amazing love, I know it’s true
And it’s my joy to honor you
In all I do, I honor you.

1 comments:

Unknown May 19, 2008 at 1:01 PM  

Even though I don't really have a choice about going to church (because we lead worship), I still have to check my attitude. If it's not 100% about God, then I'm there for the wrong reasons.

Thanks for sharing, Farrah!

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP