So Worth the Wait

>> Friday, May 30, 2008

I just got home from watching the much anticipated Sex and the City movie. It was fabulous, as expected!!! It felt like sitting on my couch, catching up with some old and very fun friends. Comfortable, entertaining, nostalgic... just really fun.

I worked at the hospital all day and then went straight to the theater and met up with a friend who is just as big a fan as I am. She even left her three kids (ages 4, 2, and 3months) with a 27yr. single guy and turned her phone off during the movie 'cuz she didn't want to be disturbed. :)

I drove home in a bit of a daze, feeling like I had just escaped from the reality of my life for a couple hours and it felt really good. I had stepped into this world of fashion shows and extravagant dinners and cosmopolitans. But when I got home, I abruptly stepped back into my own world of laundry and dirty dishes and trying to get ready for our little getaway to the beach that starts tomorrow.

There is a scene in the movie where someone is holding a newborn baby (I won't say any names so I don't spoil the movie for anyone) and watching it I felt this little jolt of reality. Someone very dear to me just lost her baby at around 8weeks. And as I sat in the theater and Baby Next was moving all around, I couldn't help but think of my neice or nephew that I will have to wait for heaven to meet. Then my thoughts went immediately to how in about 11 short weeks, I will be the one laying in a hospital bed holding my newborn infant and I lost my breath for a moment. I am not ready for that yet I am getting really excited. I love this little one, I am getting more and more attached to him everyday. But I can't say that I am at all prepared for life with a newborn again. It seems overwhelming yet precious and tender and maybe even fun. But whether I am ready or not, it is coming and sooner than I think.

Having these thoughts tonight in the context of watching the movie has felt a little intense. The show and the movie both are so much about relationships and how we relate to each other and deal with life in the context of the relationships that influence and shape us. It is about learning to be true to yourself and learning how to lean on others without losing you in the process. It felt profound to me tonight. I actually cried at the Sex and the City movie... partially because over the years I have gotten caught up in the lives of these fictional characters. But also becaotionuse the images of loyalty and love were so poignant. And so timely for me.

I can explain my thoughts more clearly and succinctly soon. Right now I am tired and still need to pack. There are just a lot of emotions (and hormones too - that doesn't help matters any) circling my brain right now and life feels a bit complex. Hubby and I are working through some things, some people I love are hurting, I am getting ready for this baby, and oh so much more.... How I got here from talking about the movie is a bit unclear, but....
...the movie was awesome. SO worth the wait!!!

2 comments:

Catherine May 31, 2008 at 8:32 AM  

I thought of you last night during our 3 HOUR shopping trip to Costco and hoped it was all you had dreamed of!

Nikki June 1, 2008 at 11:46 AM  

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I remember the worries I had about having my second baby, but it all works out. It's fun having two, that is, when they're not both crying!

Baby Love Slings

Followers

Graphics by..




  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP